Until there's a cure ... there's care

"MND Victoria provides an incredible service. We had no idea what to do or what would happen to us. Ruth, our MND Victoria Advisor explained everything in a way which allowed us to be in control and make our decisions." Rob Lochhead


On March 28 this year my partner of 21 years died in my arms. She was 54 years old when diagnosed in June 2016 and given 12 to 18 months to live. It turned out this was overly optimistic as Liz’s disease progressed rapidly and she died just nine months later.

We don’t know how long she’d had MND before the diagnosis but on reflection it was probably longer than we realised. For the last few years the family noticed that Liz never screwed tops on tightly – something we found a bit annoying but which we put down to being “just Liz”. It was early 2016 that Liz noticed how tired she was getting and that she was having difficulty holding tweezers, an integral part of her work as a beautician. A visit to the GP was quickly followed by tests at the Austin Hospital resulting in her MND diagnosis. Although her voice was a bit croaky Liz was still walking and she said to me “I don’t know what they are talking about. I feel fine”. The seriousness and finality of the diagnosis really didn’t register even when the doctor said something along the lines of “if you have something you want to do then do it now”.

Liz first contacted MND Victoria in September and it was soon after that she first connected with Ruth her MND Victoria Advisor. Ruth was absolutely fantastic – if I have to get sick she would be the person I would want batting for me. She helped make life more bearable for Liz just by putting us in touch with various services and, of course, organising for all the equipment that was essential to keeping Liz part of the community.

As Liz’s disease progressed normal day-today activities became very difficult for her. Soon I was helping her shower, making her food, flushing the peg feeding tube - literally everything that until very recently she’d done herself. We had a routine where I would get her showered, take her into the lounge room, dry her hair, then take her out. This took about three hours but at least she could enjoy going in her wheelchair to the shopping centre or for a coffee. I remember how she really enjoyed our lunch in Rosebud while she was still walking.

While I was Liz’s main carer I was not alone. Liz’s sister Margaret was an amazing support to us both, even though her own husband was going through cancer treatment, and she had her own family and work commitments. Margaret would come around after she finished work, bring Liz a meal and stay and visit with her until I came home from work. When I worked at weekends Margaret would come and pick Liz up then take her to her home where she stayed until I could pick her up. Liz’s two daughters Rhiannon and Emma also did what they could but it was such a traumatic and devastating experience for them to see their mother deteriorate so rapidly before their eyes.

At first Liz was embarrassed that she was unable to look after herself, but I told her not to worry, that we would find a solution to any challenge, which we did.

I can honestly say that without the equipment MND Victoria supplied - at no cost to us - Liz would have been very isolated. We had a hoist to transfer her out of bed, an electric bed with pressure mattress, a shower commode, an electric riser chair and of course wheelchairs. Liz’s MND symptoms progressed very quickly but we did manage to go on a cruise in January 2017. It wasn’t quite the dream holiday we’d hoped for because Liz got seasick from the time we left port. MND Victoria had provided us with a wheelchair which was a lifesaver as Liz used it throughout the cruise.

Towards the end of the cruise Liz started to get quite sick, and basically didn’t eat. As she didn’t improve at home I took her to the Austin Hospital and after two days we were told to gather the family as Liz’s condition was so bad. However, Liz did improve and after five weeks in the Austin battling pneumonia, low blood pressure, low sodium and a collapsed lung she was transferred to Calvary Health Care Bethlehem (CHCB) where she stayed for four weeks.

MND Victoria was again invaluable. They got the ball rolling with NDIS registration and worked extremely hard to get Liz NDIS registered. Because her symptoms were rapid every day felt like Liz’s MND symptoms were changing faster than we could get services in place.

Once the NDIS funding had been confirmed, our MND Victoria Advisor worked tirelessly to source agencies to provide workers to be trained in Liz’s care to fulfil Liz’s goal of going home. There’s no way we could have achieved this without the knowledge, expertise, experience and unwavering support of MND Victoria. When you’ve never experienced MND the intricacies of navigating the NDIS and the healthcare system can be overwhelming, especially when you’re exhausted just trying to look after your loved one.

It was now over two months since Liz’s hospitalisation and she was deteriorating quickly. She was struggling with anxiety, using non-invasive ventilation (NIV) constantly, sleeping most of the time, full high care and non verbal. But I knew that she really wanted to come home and thanks to MND Victoria’s equipment and our MND Advisor everything was finally in place for her discharge from CHCB.

On Monday Liz came home. She looked so happy and content. Late Tuesday night while getting Liz comfy in bed I rolled her towards me with my arm underneath her. She looked up at me so peacefully and passed away in my arms. I held her until the ambos arrived. Liz was a strong, warm, caring, spiritual woman. She trusted me to look after her and make decisions about her life. One thing I want to say is that Liz and I fell in love again. I know it sounds strange but Liz became my world; I would do anything for her. I loved looking after her - whatever Liz wanted I did with no hesitation. I will miss her greatly.

Thank you for letting me share Liz’s MND story with you. The nine weeks Liz was in hospital and from the time she was diagnosed with MND were a rollercoaster ride for Liz and the rest of her family and friends. I’m very grateful for the support received from the family and friends who cared for Liz and me but it was the care, support and equipment provided by MND Victoria that enabled Liz to remain living, and dying, at home. As I tell anyone who asks – MND Victoria provides an incredible service without which we would have been overwhelmed. Please consider giving generously to this appeal. It really will make a difference to the life of someone living with MND today.

This story was first published as our 2017 Christmas Appeal

Please donate

Read more MND stories:


Gary has been involved with MND Victoria since the 90s. He has been converting MND Victoria Newsletter into online news for worldwide audiences for 10 years...


Maureen, one of our wonderful volunteers and a past carer of someone living with motor neurone disease wrote this poem 'Caring and Sharing' about her experience during the time.


My beautiful son Robert, Robbie to all who know him, was diagnosed in May 2017 and our world hasn't been the same. At the start, life wasn't too bad as Robbie was fiercely independent ...


As I step back from my role as a volunteer in the fundraising area, I’ve been thinking of all the past efforts that have helped make the Association so successful.


I find myself engrossed in wonderful, now precious, memories. I laugh at flashbacks which come to mind. I laugh, then I cry, remembering you're gone.


I am 86 years old and up until June 2018, I was a reasonably healthy person who led an active life and loved communicating/ socialising with family and friends.


Did you know that we have two equipment volunteers who help our Equipment team supporting people...


An Ode to MND is a poem about daily life whilst living with motor neurone disease written by Joy who had MND.


My two boys Marcus (10 years old) and Harry (8 years old) unfortunately lost their nana to MND in April 2018.


In my time at MND Victoria so far I have had the chance to engage with individuals whose resilience in the face of adversity is inspiring.


Brian was the last to go. He too died from motor neurone disease – that is the disease whereby the neurons stop working and cannot convey messages to the muscles ...


41 year old Dean is married to his childhood sweetheart Paula and father to two teenage boys ... in July 2015 their life came to a halt when Dean was diagnosed with MND.


When Pam’s son was diagnosed with MND three years ago, she didn’t know what to do. As a mother she felt so useless, she couldn’t do anything except love him.


Gavin McCann was diagnosed with motor neurone disease in January 2015. Being told this news is devastating for anyone. Gavin however, used this news to live out his long time dream.


Andy's MND journey began after noticing difficulties with slurring speech. Medical investigations led to a local neurologist in May 2015, who suggested motor neurone disease ...


I was a stay at home single mum with 3 children aged 5, 7 and 9 in 2003 and my youngest was recovering from cancer treatment. I had left my husband in 2002 ...


Rebecca Mason more than deserves the title of legend. Beck lives in Portland but makes the trip up to Geelong regularly to be with her best friend who has MND.


Went to a medical appointment recently at our local medical centre in Emerald, Vic, in my Frontier Tilt in Space wheelchair supplied by MND Vic ...


Not only is this disease so horrible to endure for the sufferer of MND. But the other side of the coin is the partner and family trying to cope with the emotional issues ...


This experience not only significantly impacted my life, but also helped me develop as a person and become who I am today and the person I will become tomorrow.


I can talk, I can walk, I can swallow, I can read, I can write, I can itch my head if I need to, I can laugh when I want to. I can wipe my own tears. You're thinking, what's the big deal?


A poem written by one of our volunteers about her experience of motor neurone disease ...

"It’s the understanding, knowing that when I phone you, MND Victoria always understands ...
I remember the first time I ever heard the words “Motor Neurone Disease”.
On March 28 this year my partner of 21 years died in my arms. She was 54 years old when diagnosed in June 2016
Last year’s Camino walk was raising money for those that can’t do it and it was in memory of my husband and his father.
My husband dances with me, but not as often as he used too, and he doesn’t like the fast songs.
Being a good brother he said nothing about the change but assumed that little brother, at age 77 had taken up the booze.
Neither John nor I expected this ... when the future with MND was explained it felt like we’d been hit by an express train.
When Cheryl received the diagnosis of MND in 2002 she was 32 years old, married and had a 3-year-old son, Mark.
I have been let’s say, "fortunate" enough to have had MND for nine years, instead of the average two ...
As Brett’s disease was progressing very fast, his life expectancy was about nine months.
Carol and I had retired from a lifetime of farming and were planning to grow old together ...